Saturday, July 16, 2011

What is on your Gift List?


At the start of the summer, my friend Kim Moller (the Queen of Craiglist finds) invited me to be part of women’s small group where we would read and discuss the book, “One Thousand Gifts”.

She organized the group to meet at 7 am on Tuesday mornings at Starbucks. Hummm, my first thoughts were “Isn’t summer about sleeping in and I don’t even drink coffee." But I said, “Sure, why not?

This small group is turning out to be the highlight of my summer. Our 6 week conversation is the perfect mix of bible study, book club and life reflection. I am honored to spend my Tuesday mornings with these 9 women, most of whom I have just met.  Each lady humbling sharing her most genuine thoughts and words of encouragement.


“One Thousand Gifts”, written by Ann Voskamp, takes us through the author’s journey to recognize that God is grace for all things in our lives. Voskamp is challenged by a friend to make a list of 1,000 things she is thankful for. Like many of us, sure, she is already thankful for many of God’s gifts (family, friends, good health…). But what about all the other treasures Gods gives us that we either fail or don’t have make time to  praise them.

In “One Thousand Gifts”, the reader is reminder that Learning and Practicing to give thanks for ALL God’s grace is different than just being thankful when things are good or convenient. And it isn’t always easy to be thankful when things aren’t going well.


Voskamp refers to her list as the Gift list … She writes “The gift list is thinking upon His goodness”. She reminds us that God’s gifts come in all shapes, sizes, and formations. From Voskamp’s list…


#243. Clean sheets smelling like wind
#244. Hot oatmeal tasting like home
#245. Bare toes in early light

At our first gathering, Kim gave us each a notebook to journal our Gift List.  She reminded us that the entry number doesn’t reflect the priority of our thanks nor the value. Just  to“Give Thanks”. I’m learning to take time to make my entries and not let the craziness of life over shadow my need to practice thanks.


Entry # 5 for me: The Gift of being part of this small group.

Entry #20: Blogging my thoughts


What is on your Gift list?

5 comments:

  1. that sounds like a wonderful book! i'll need to add it to my reading list! and start thinking of the 1000 items on my gift list. so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this recently: "What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for today?"

    I'm sure most of us would wake up homeless, naked, hungry, and worst of all LONELY.

    What a great idea your friend had to do this,
    and what a special gift to all the ladies involved. Enjoy!

    Warm hug to you,
    Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy we got the chance to talk on Friday...I had a wonderful time laughing and enjoying the day with each and every one of you.
    I'm looking forward to getting my copy of what sounds like an incredible book...and so happy that you were blessed with a summer you will always remember.
    Have a blessed week and I'll see you soon!
    xoxo
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds terrific and something that would be very special to share with those who have touched our lives and we are so very thankful for. Thanking you for sharing this gift of information with us!
    Really nice seeing you at Jamestown today and thank you so much for the enthusiasm you shared with us.
    Jackie and Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Blog is lovely Rose! Just like you!!
    See you in a few short weeks at the Oaks!!!
    Xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete