Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Teenage Girls & Clean Rooms - A Rare Sighting

The sight was almost as rare as the Red Moon lunar eclipse - my daughters both had clean rooms!  Like most teenagers, Chelsea and Ally's definition of cleaning their rooms usually means shoving everything in the closet or under the bed.  So when they both went out of town last weekend, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to REALLY clean their bedrooms (Translation - Get rid of tons of stuff.)

Since there is no telling when this rare sighting will happen again, I shot some pictures of their rooms. (Some of the photos I took while testing out the iPhone pic app.)




Fortunately, the girls still welcome my input in their room design while adding their own personal touches.



Chelsea's room is accented with the Tiffany blue I love so much.  I had this large crown painted on her wall few years ago.   It makes quite a statement above her chippy paint desk.






Yes, I could have removed the shoe basket for the picture, but wanted to give you a pretty actual view of the room!

Whenever I see books with a Tiffany blue cover, 
I usually pick them up as an accent for her desk.
The watercolor is a painting my dad did for Chelsea.



Chelsea picked out this chippy paint blue cabinet herself.  
Although it has caster and wheels, it was SO HEAVY getting it up the stairs, 
I swore, it was never leaving her room!
  (I know it looks really dirty in this picture, 
but I did scrub it and line the drawers before I put it in her room.
 You also can't tell, but I put a piece of plexiglass on both this cabinet and the desk.)



Chelsea's daybed is filled with pillows.


We painted the 2 walls that frame her window seat with chalk paint.  A great place for friends to leave messages when they are just hanging out in her room.

My message would be "Keep Your Room Clean".


We recently gave Ally's room a makeover with very little expense.  
I used items that I was able to shift from anther room or that were slated for the flea.



When we made changes to her room, we took down her wonderful old chippy paint iron bed with plans to create a daybed using this wonderful door as the headboard.  
Unfortunately, once we got all the furniture in, we found it wouldn't work.


She needed a dresser with more storage so I traded the one that was in my of my bathroom.

We still kept the door up and it now serves as a holder for some of Ally's pics and necklaces.



(Playing with the i-phone pic apps)


This metal locker fits perfect in the corner of her room.


Metal stand with 4 shelves  being used for books, pictures, 
TV and baskets.


(Playing with the iphone pic app again.)


Her friends get a kick out of her vintage typewriter.


The girls got home on Sunday and while they've only been home 4 days, 
I could easily do a  "before" and "after" blog on their rooms.  
At least I have these photos to look back on and remember the "before" look.

HuGs.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rose,
    Love this post and the girls rooms! "The Door" looks amazing on Ally's wall! Love all the blue in Chelsea's room...her message board and all the wonderful chippy furniture!
    You gave them both a wonderful gift...hope they were surprised!!
    Don't you just love the IPhone camera app...
    See you on Friday (I hope)!!
    xoxo
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh Rose! Even though Jesenia doesn't turn 13 until September, she's been doing the teenager thing for a couple of years now. I truly feel your pain! lol

    Thanks for giving us a tour of the girls rooms. So many wonderful and interesting things to look at.

    Looks like your having fun with your i-phone app. My favorite is the shot of the vintage typewriter.

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the shabby blues. all so sweet.

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your beautiful booth on Christie Repasy's blog and had to come over to see your blog! Gorgeous! I love what you did with your daughters' room and I know what you mean about them not staying clean. My daughter is 28 and still lives in a mess! I am now following your blog and looking forward to reading more and seeing more of your lovely pictures! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously!!!! I know what you mean, we are in the same process!!!
    love there looks!

    ReplyDelete