Monday, September 17, 2012

Define BFF?

 Define BFF?  Is it the family member you often take for granted, a new acquaintance who you adore and believe will be in your life forever, the unexpected friend that develops out of business or maybe the friend who played a significant role in your life in the past, and no matter how many months or years go by without seeing each other, it seems no time has past at all the next time you do see or talk to each other.  I say a BFF is all of the above and so much more.  



I believe friends come into our lives for a reason, and whether their friendship last a short time
 or life time, each one is a gift in its own unique way.



I couldn't start this blog without mentioning our friends, the Matthews family. When my son Riley was 4 years old and attending Chapman University's Child Development Center, he became BFF's with a little boy name Scott Matthews. Soon the Matthews family (April and Todd) and our family were inseparable. As the boys got older, life took us down different paths and now some 16 years later April and I still share a phone call once or twice a year.  So when she called me several weeks ago, I initially thought it was just our annual catch up call. Then she told me Todd had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Not a day goes by now without a memory sneaking into my day of those years of kid sleepovers, trick or treating together, swim days, t-ball.....The Matthews family holds such a special place in my heart, and right now they need friends and friends of friends praying for Todd's health. 

It's been really fun watching my daughters become friends in a new way since going to high school. This summer took them to a leadership camp together.  I hope their bond will just grow stronger and stronger as they grow into adulthood.


A real highlight of the summer was the vacation my husband and I took to Cancun.  
At first I felt REALLY guilty about planning this trip without my kids, but my friend Debbie Watts was the first person to say (with so much care and sincerity),"Rose, you work REALLY hard. You deserve this trip with your husband.  You should go and not feel guilty at all!" 
Soon those same sentiments were echoed by all of my family and friends.  


 So off Paul and I went to Cancun to enjoy lots of R and R,


 lunch at the pool,


late night evening spirits,


 and above all else, a rekindled friendship.




Summer time always means birthday time for Ally.


So many of you have watched her grow up over the years as she has come out and helped me at the markets. Hard to believe she is 15 and a sophomore in high school. 

This year's celebration was an invitation for her friends to get a little dressed up 
and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.


All of these girls are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside!


Ally and some of her BFF's. 



Another one of her BFF's - my sweet Brooklyn.

Let's face it girls, no matter how cute the dress is - it's really about the shoes!


In the blink of an eye, the summer months were over and September was here. The girls went back to school, my son completed his summer internship, prepared to leave for his fall semester study abroad program in Spain,


and I got ready for the Vintage Oaks "Rustic Romance" show.
I am so lucky to have met some wonderful friends through this crazy flea market world.
Together we relate to one another in a way that only junkers can do.

(My next blog will be a recap of the Vintage Oaks show)



One last happening this summer was my decision to leave my space at The Urban Barn. 
My decision was strictly based on the need to cut back!  Linda Carpenter, owner of The Urban Barn, has an amazing talent for putting together an eye candy store of refurbished goods. Over the years,  Linda has continuously offered her friendship to me in all my endeavors and for that gift, I will always wish her and The Urban the greatest success!


















No comments:

Post a Comment